Second Blog Post (JN134) Masks For The Masses

Second Blog Post: Masks for the Masses



 I decided to interview my mom for this post. I realize that it's supposed to be about me and how my family is coping, but by interviewing my mom and finding out how she's coping, you'll be able to understand how our whole family is doing for the most part. 
My mom started making masks on the Friday of spring break(March 27th, 2020). So far she has made 158 cotton masks, and she is still working on a batch of 13 more as I write this. My sister and I have helped her a few times when we had a break from school, but for the most part, it’s been just her stuck at that sewing machine, watching Hallmark movies on her phone, while she grinds until about midnight or later every night. 
So far, my mom has donated 50 of the masks to Regency Albany, an assisted living facility on 19th Avenue. She gave 12 to a gal from the LBCC offices, as well as donating several to fellow volunteers at Mid Valley Gleaners. We have also sent some to older relatives down in California, including my one of my grandmas and my great grandpa. My mom gave a couple masks to her employer, as well as keeping one for herself for whenever she has to leave the house to run errands or go to work. She donated 12 of the first masks she made to the nurses at the Albany Hospital. Shes currently working on some to send away to family members and friends, and the estimated time it takes to make one mask is about 20-25 minutes.
Obviously, everything is kind of shut down at the moment, due to the virus, including Joanne Fabrics. My mom has run out of interfacing several times so far. Interfacing is the most important part of the mask. It is a rough fabric that gets ironed on inside the mask, and it is the main component that makes the mask safe. Essentially, it is what keeps bacteria in, as well as keeping it from coming through. When Joanne closed, my mom went to different resources for interfacing. First, she tried my grandma. Next, one of my mom’s friends went to the still-open Joannes in Eugene, where she found more interfacing. Granted, they were limiting their customers to 2 yards, which, trust me, doesn’t go very far, but my mom still manages to work herself to the limit for everyone else´s benefit. 
Our family is coping with this quarantine as well as anyone would expect us to, I guess. I really miss going to work, but my parents both work for the school district and are still getting payed, so we’re not going into debt or anything during this whole thing. However, with the whole ¨10 people max in a gathering¨ rule, we are unable to go to church at this time, which is a really big deal for my family. Its not something we’re used to, and its not something we want to be used to.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing In The News Blog Post #2

Photo Story: Mike Dixon

Begg’s Tires Free Shoot